Military, Overseas, Special Case Voters

Military and Overseas Voters

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) covers:

Uniformed Service Voters, including:

  • Active duty military and their dependents (U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines)
  • Coast Guard
  • Commission Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
  • The Merchant Marine

Overseas Voters including:

  • U.S. citizens living outside of the United States who has qualified or would be qualified to vote in their place of residence in San Bernardino County before leaving the U.S.


To register to vote or to receive your ballot online, you must obtain and complete a Federal Postcard Application (FPCA).

You can return the FPCA by mail to us at 777 E. Rialto Ave. San Bernardino, CA 92415 or by fax at (909) 387-2022.

For more information about how to take part in elections while in the military or other uniformed service, or a civilian living or visiting outside the United States, visit the Secretary of State’s website, as there are several different ways you can request and receive your ballot for an upcoming election, then return your ballot once you are registered to vote.

Other Links

Special Case Voters

College Students:
A college student should register to vote in the county and state where his or her permanent residence is located. A permanent residence address may be the dormitory where the student is attending school, an off-campus residence, or his or her residence at home with his or her parents.
New Residents:
Voter registration for new residents must be in progress beginning on the 14th day prior to an election and the process must be complete on the 7th day prior to Election Day.  This registration must be conducted in the Elections Office and the new resident must vote in the current election using a new resident’s ballot while in the office.
New Citizens:
Anyone who becomes a new United States citizen on or before the 15th day before an election when registration closes must follow the regular procedures for registering to vote.  Anyone who becomes a new United States citizen by completing the swearing in ceremony after the 15-day close of voter registration, but before or on Election Day must:
  • Meet all the voter requirements
  • Have established residence in the state of California

Any new citizen who meets these qualifications is eligible to register and vote at the Elections Office or at any of the designated voter locations beginning on the 14th day before an election and ending at the close of polls on Election Day.

You will be required to show proof of citizenship and declare that you are a California resident.  You will then be asked to complete a registration form to become a registered voter.  Once you are registered, you will be given a ballot for you to vote in the current election.

Convicted Felons:  If you have a felony conviction, you CAN vote if you have:

  • Completed your parole
  • Completed your probation
  • Not currently incarcerated or on community supervision for a felony

For more information regarding convicted felons’ voting status view the Secretary of State’s Letter and Memorandum [pdf].